Spring in Fernie
As the days become longer, the snow begins to melt, and the flowers start to bloom, we know we are heading into spring in Fernie. What is often referred to as “the off-season”, is often also underrated. There are plenty of activities still available to do, and fewer crowds doing them.
We have summed up our top five spring must-dos in town.
- Hiking – there are so many trails in and surrounding Fernie, from beginner trails suited for all fitness levels and the families including your furry friends at Montane hut to the more experienced and adventure-seeking treks such as Heiko’s Trail (Be sure to check the weather as this trail really isn’t open until the end of spring around June). During the spring, the trails in Ridgemont, Montane, and Castle Rock are often the first to become snow-free, while the trails in the Provincial Park, and Heiko’s are usually last to see the snow disappear.
- Biking – one of our favourite sports all year round, whether it’s fat-biking or mountain biking, you can explore the trails at speed or leisure. @FernieTrailsAlliance have detailed maps to navigate which options are best suited for you. As with hiking, southern exposed trails are the first to dry. And please, do not ride muddy trails! In the summer months, the ski hill also opens for mountain biking enthusiasts who love the gravity focused bike park.
- Arts and Crafts – downtown have several gift stores showcasing the local artists of the Kootenay region. @TheGreenPetal have a lovely selection of pottery and mugs, and @FernieArtsCo is home to great local talent. Be sure to also stop into the new @Hsquared gallery for local pottery and paintings.
- Wellness day – @Spa901 and @ThreeSistersDaySpa offer everything you need to relax.
- Patio dining – there is a selection of dining options with open patios in the warmer months. Be sure to head along the 2nd Avenue for some great dining options, and across to the @ferniedistillery for a refreshing cocktail or two.
There is always something to enjoy all year round in Fernie, and the traditional off-season makes for fewer tourists, traffic, and more time to escape; and even better the Fernie Fox Hotel is conveniently located to it all. With a short walk to downtown and a short 10-minute drive to the ski hill, this is the place to book your vacation for spring.