The Fernie Fox Hotel: Covid-19 Reopening
Fernie Fox Hotel: Covid Reopening Measures
As the provincial government embarks on the next stage of reopening our province, the following Fernie Fox Hotel reopening measures have been implemented to ensure guest safety for non-essential travellers as of June 1. Below is a list of policies and procedures we are following to ensure the safety of our staff and guests during these uncertain times. We are constantly reviewing and researching best practices in the hospitality industry. We want to assure our guests that our number one priority is for you to have a safe and enjoyable experience at the Fernie Fox Hotel.
New COVID-19 property improvements
These measures have been implemented by the Fernie Fox Hotel to ensure your safety when you stay with us:
- Plexiglass shield installed at the front desk.
- Touchless hand sanitizer stations at each entry, in front of the elevator on all floors, in the lobby and outside the front doors.
- Mask and glove station outside the front door.
- New signage reminding guests to social distance.
- New signage explaining how to protect yourself against COVID.
- Signage explaining what The Fernie Fox is doing to protect staff and guests.
- Hot tub, guest kitchen, guest laundry, guest BBQ are limited to one family group at a time. We have signup sheets at the front desk.
- Floor mats designed to keep people six feet apart have been ordered. In the meantime, we have taped our floors with distance markers.
- We have removed from the rooms all non-essential amenities. Pens, paper pad, tent cards, and other literature.
- Disposable sleeve for the TV remote controls are provided in guest rooms.
- All staff are undergoing ongoing training in enhanced cleaning and safety protocols.
Front Desk COVID Guidelines
The front desk at Fernie Fox Hotel has instituted the following reopening measures to protect you, and our staff:
- Lobby surfaces, door handles and knobs, front desk counter, guest computer, vending machines, guest laundry, guest kitchen and BBQ deck are sanitized after each use or every hour.
- Items such as our POS machine, keyboard, guest key cards, pens are sanitized after every use.
- New rules regarding the use of the hot tub, BBQ area, guest laundry and guest kitchen that limit their use to one family group at a time. Guests need to reserve their time with the front desk. The guest kitchen and guest laundry room doors must remain closed while in use.
- We encourage guests to limit their direct contact with the front desk by using the express check-out option and by using the phone in their room for any inquiries.
- Limiting the time a guest will spend at the front desk by adjusting our check-in procedure. We will have keys and registration cards ready for all arrivals and touchless payments available.
- We will communicate to all arriving guests our new COVID policies and procedures.
- All rooms will remain vacant for 24hrs after a guest checks out to minimize risks of staff exposure.
- Stay over rooms will not be serviced. Guests are encouraged to call the front desk for clean supplies.
- Plastic bags have been provided in the rooms for dirty linens, and a plastic bag for their other waste. We ask guests to place all trash in one bag, and soiled linens in the other. Once bagged, please place in the hallway and call the front desk to collect.
- Signage has been placed throughout the property reminding people of social distancing rules and hotel procedures.
- Until it is safe, we have scaled back our breakfast service and instead, we are offering breakfast grab bags. We will have an in-room breakfast option provided by Smitty’s restaurant.
Staff housekeeping procedure updates to ensure guest safety
Fernie Fox Hotel reopening measures for housekeeping are as follows:
- Staff are required to wash hands before shift begins and every hour thereafter.
- All chemical bottles need to be mixed with 1/4 PSC, as opposed to ⅛ previously.
- Laundry attendants will add 1 ¼ cups of bleach to each laundry load to ensure sanitation and disinfection.
- When doing laundry, all staff must be gloved. Once done handling dirty laundry throw out the gloves. Do not touch other items with the same gloves that you used to touch the laundry. BREAK THE CHAIN.
- Rags must be changed out after cleaning of each object.
- Staff will not enter any guest room until 24 hrs after the guest has checked out.
- We will remind guests of the importance of maintaining physical distances between individuals not of the same family group.
Updated Cancellation policy for reopening
As part of our ongoing commitment to our guests at the Fernie Fox Hotel reopening measures for any cancellations have been amended to the following:
- We would ask all guests to consider rescheduling instead of cancelling.
- If rescheduling is not feasible, all reservations booked directly with the hotel will be cancelled without penalty.
- Any reservation made through an online travel agency (Expedia, Booking.com, etc.) must be cancelled through them. We have no control over their cancellation or refund policies. We always advise booking directly with us for the best customer service and support.
Fernie Fox Hotel new bookings measures for reopening
For any new booking at the Fernie Fox Hotel after reopening, the following measures will be taken to ensure your complete satisfaction:
- Guarantee 100% free cancellation to all new bookings, for the rest of the year, when booked direct.
- Our team will take reservations for the travelling public (non-essential travellers) after June 1st. Some of the travel purposes that are considered non-essential:
- Travelling for tourism.
- Travelling to second homes.
- Travelling to visit friends or family.
- We will take reservations for all essential travellers without restrictions.
We ALL need to be extra vigilant during this pandemic to protect ourselves, our staff, and other guests of the hotel. Please do not travel if you have symptoms of Covid 19 such as cough, runny nose, or fever.
If you have any recommendations or ideas, please feel free to communicate them with our management team.
The latest information about the Covid-19 in the Province of BC can be found on the BC CDC’s website here.
Stay safe, stay calm, be patient.
The Fernie Fox Hotel