Our mission: to become the most sustainable hotel in BC
The Fernie Fox’s commitment over the next few years is to become the most sustainable hotel in British Columbia.
The importance of practicing sustainability is becoming a greater priority for communities all over the world due to the evident impacts of climate change, declining water supplies, the decline in our biodiversity and our overall ecological footprint. We might not be able to undo the damage that is done but we can certainly be a part of the change to prevent it from getting any worse and heal the planet by being more environmentally conscious in our behaviour. As a business, these practices are important to us to implement to create positive change for our planet.
Over the last couple of years, we have implemented many improvements in our day-to-day operations, including how we do business and how we give back to support our goal and promise to become the most sustainable hotel in BC.
Our other planned initiatives include:
- Implementation of a policy of purchasing low energy equipment for electrical devices such as fridges, TVs and microwaves.
- Engagement of an energy management system installed to turn lights and air conditioning off in empty guest rooms.
- Reduction of use of single-use condiments (jam, butter, etc.) with more packaging, in favour of reusable containers.
- Education of guests about how they can make a positive contribution to local biodiversity and conservation efforts.
- Encouragement of guests to explore the destination beyond the boundaries of the property.
- Inclusion of environmental aspects into employee training, such as how to reduce energy, water and waste.
These are such important targets for us and we continue to adapt to contribute to positive change.
We also have some exciting news in the pipeline which we will share with you in the coming months.