You must be living under a rock if you haven’t heard that sustainability is our jam! It’s why we get up in the morning, what keeps us striving for more, and consciously working towards creating a positive impact on our environment and community. It’s why we are setting ourselves the goal to become the most sustainable hotel in British Columbia.
Since adopting sustainability as a key mission of ours, we have taken great strides to achieve our goals. These goals aren’t just about making our hotel better and our guest experience more memorable, but also about contributing to the community at large. We hope that we are paving the way for some really amazing changes in the hotel industry. You see, this isn’t about just us. This is about looking to the future, and ensuring that future generations are able to continue to enjoy the experiences of nature and travel for many years to come.
We were awarded this year’s Environmental Sustainability Award at the 2022 Fernie Business Excellence Awards, and couldn’t be prouder to add this to our list of achievements. The best is yet to come, and we cannot wait to show you what’s next for our humble hotel.
How do you create a sustainable hotel you may ask? We have listed below some really easy ways that got us on this journey, and the best thing is, you can easily adopt these into your own household. Let’s do this together:
- We removed all single use plastics including our toiletry bottles (everything is refillable now), cutlery, and garbage bin liners (garbage bins get wiped down everyday).
- We have replaced all incandescent light bulbs with new LED bulbs.
- Implement a policy of purchasing low energy equipment for electrical devices such as fridges, TV’s microwaves.
- We have installed water savers on showerheads and taps – don’t worry these do not compromise on the pressure, you still get a powerful shower.
- We shop local as much as possible.
- We have a fully comprehensive energy management system that saves over 52kw a year.
- We have solar panels which utilise the energy from the sun.
If you have any suggestions for us on sustainable practices you’ve adopted at home, please send them through. We love to hear from our community and learn new ways we can improve our practices. After all, this is a collaborative effort, and together we can create a greater impact.
Want to keep up to date with what we’re doing in and around the hotel? Follow us on all our socials and give us a like!